Interactive Tanzania Map
Click on a location below to learn more about the region.
Tanzania Regions: Names and Descriptions
- Gombe Stream National Park – Famed location of Jane Goodall’s chimpanzee research. Highlight here is Chimpanzee Treks in the forested mountains along Lake Tanganyika.
- Katavi National Park – Incredible biomass of large wildlife within a barely visited national park. Arguably Africa’s best kept safari secret and one of our favorite parks.
- Lake Manyara – A classic rift valley park that is great for birding along the northern Tanzania safari circuit.
- Mahale National Park – The best location in the world for chimpanzee viewing. With white sand beaches and the beautiful waters of Lake Tanganyika this is jungle meets beach paradise. With the chimps featured this is pure magic and like nowhere else on the safari circuit.
- Ngorongoro Crater – An iconic place like no other. Incredibly unique setting within an immense crater containing some of Africa’s densest wildlife populations.
- Ruaha National Park – Where East and Southern Africa biologically overlap creating interesting and diverse game viewing in Tanzania’s lightly visited but largest National Park.
- Selous Game Reserve – The largest game reserve in all of Africa. This is not Tanzania’s densest game viewing but it is an ideal location for wild adventure with some of the countries best walking, as well as boat trips to complement game drives.
- Serengeti National Park – Likely the world’s most famous national park and rightly so with incredible game viewing. This is the classic safari of open plains teeming with animals, often filling the landscape to the horizon in all directions. Home of the Great Migration of two million grazers and staggering numbers of big cats this is a must visit location.
- Tarangire National Park – A haunting landscape of ancient baobab trees makes this many people’s favorite park scenically. It is the best area for elephants in Northern Tanzania and deep in the park can be quite good for cats, sometimes wild dogs and an opportunity for walks and night drives.